One of my friends is a transplant from Dallas who constantly harps upon the good life down there. The perpetual sunshine, the great neighborhoods, great shopping, entertainment and good food - in particular, the numerous places for dessert. She still has a home there and therefore makes regular trips back. On her last trip, she brought me two cupcakes from Sprinkles - her favorite dessert shop. One red velvet, one chocolate. I guess she assumed I was going to give one to my husband. Under normal circumstances, I would have but after one bite into the red velvet, he didn't stand a chance. Extremely moist and very addictive. (Surprisingly they were smaller than expected; guess not everything is bigger in Texas.) Before I knew it, I was looking at an empty cupcake wrapper with the chocolate one meeting the same fate. (Sorry Hun.) He stood a better chance this weekend though with this fresh batch of red velvet cupcakes. This recipe makes one dozen but can be easily doubled.
Red Velvet Cupcakes
1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp dark cocoa powder
1 cup light brown sugar
1/4 cup butter
2 tbsp water
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp red food coloring
1/2 cup fat free milk
1 tsp white distilled vinegar
1 tsp baking soda
Cream Cheese Frosting (see recipe below)
1. Set oven to 350 degree Fahrenheit. Line standard muffin tins with cupcake liners.
2. Combine flour, cocoa powder and salt. Set aside.
3. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together sugar and butter until light and fluffy. Whisk in the egg followed by the water, vanilla extract and food coloring.
4. Alternate adding the flour mixture and milk until fully incorporated.
5. Add the baking soda to the vinegar in a separate container, then pour into the batter. Fold in to incorporate but do not over mix.
6. Fill each cupcake cup two thirds full and bake at 350 degrees F for ten minutes. Rotate and bake another 15 minutes until a tooth pick inserted in the middle of each comes out clean. Cool for at least an hour before frosting.
Cream Cheese Frosting
16 oz low fat cream cheese (room temperature)
1 cup confectioner's sugar
2 tbsp orange juice
1 tsp vanilla extract
Whisk all ingredients until light and fluffy.