Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Chicken Meatloaf


Who says eating hearty can't be healthy? Try chicken meatloaf instead of beef, and cut fat calories almost by half. For this recipe, I used Gold'n Plump 90 % lean ground chicken, and mixed in a good heaping of shredded carrots, peppers, and onions.

I also tried a new technique here. Typically, meatloaf is molded onto a baking sheet then baked. But sometimes, mine can fall apart. To get around this, I first baked the meatloaf in a rectangular pan which sets the shape nicely. Once it has cooked, the loaf is then removed from the pan unto a baking dish, and pasted with a sweet ketchup glaze.

Chicken Meatloaf
Serves 4 to 5

1 lb ground chicken (90 % lean)
1 small onion, diced
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 carrot, grated
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 cup plain bread crumbs
1 egg
2 tbsp sundried tomato paste
Glaze (see recipe below)

1. Cook the onions and bell pepper in two tablespoons of oil over medium heat until they have softened. Add the garlic and grated carrots, and cook for an additional five minutes. Remove from the heat, and allow to cool slightly before adding to the rest of the ingredients.
2. Combine ground chicken, egg, bread crumbs, tomato paste, salt and pepper, and the cooked vegetables. Using a wooden spoon or your fingers, mix well to thoroughly combine.
3. Transfer to a well greased 8" rectangular baking pan and bake at 375 degrees F for 45 minutes. Remove from oven and invert the pan unto a greased baking sheet to remove the meatloaf. Turn the meatloaf right side up and brush the glaze on the top and sides. Return to the oven and bake for another 10 minutes. Serve.

Glaze
1/4 cup ketchup
1 tsp honey
1 tsp worcetshire sauce

Combine all ingredients.

9 comments:

Cajun Chef Ryan said...

Natasha,
Yeah, this looks great, love the layers!

Kori said...

I make turkey meatloaf all the time but never thought to use ground chicken instead. Great idea!

Natasha said...

CCR,
Thanks! Baking it first in a loaf pan sets it up for a nice presentation.

Kori,
Thanks for stopping by and I do hope you get to try this chicken meatloaf.

N>

Anonymous said...

Now, this is one tasty chicken dish, that I would thoroughly enjoy!!!

I only eat chicken mince!! that glaze looks so shiny & tasty too!

Anonymous said...

I just changed my blog to wordpress.com. Come over @ my blog & check it out!

You may want to update your RSS!!!

Natasha said...

Sophie,
Congrats on you new website! I will check it out.
N.

Unknown said...

Did this last night, very nice, glaze was excellent.
I did it in the microwave for 12 minutes then out and put the glaze on and cooked it for another 1 minute.
Start to finish 20 minutes dinner on the table!
Thanks for great healthy easy recipe.
Tanya

Erika said...

I really enjoyed this - loved that it was so healthy, and it was super tasty as well. Next time I will have to be sure to better follow the instructions and "mix well" though lol. Thanks for the lovely recipe Natasha - I found it on Pinterest :)

Amy said...

I made this for dinner tonight and it was delicious. Didn't have any red peppers on hand but used a green one instead. Also, I used a little larger baking pan than a loaf pan and just formed a loaf-- to save a step (and an extra dish to wash, as I don't have a dishwasher) and then added the topping the last 10 min. I will definitely be making this again!