These scones are sweet yet wholesome, as I have used whole wheat pastry flour instead of regular all purpose flour. They will make a great addition to a holiday breakfast table which is exactly what I'm planning to do when my family gets here this Christmas. But this batch will be a sweet surprise for hubby when he gets home from work this evening.
1 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
zest of one orange
5 tbsp cold, unsalted butter, cubed
2/3 cup milk
1/2 cup of confectioner's sugar
4 tsp orange juice
1. Set the oven to 400 degrees F. Grease a baking sheet and set aside.
2. Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and orange zest.
3. Work the butter into the flour mixture until the mixture takes on a crumbly consistency. This can be done by hand or in a food processor. Combine the dried cranberries.
4. Pour the milk into the flour mixture and mix well. The mixture will be sticky at this point. Pour it out unto a well-floured work surface and work into a round ball, adding a bit of extra flour if needed. Flatten out into an 8" round disk, and cut into 8 wedges.
5. Place the wedges unto the prepared baking sheet and bake for about 20 minutes until golden brown. Cool completely before applying the glaze. To make the glaze combine the confectioner's sugar and the orange juice until smooth.