Monday, June 21, 2010

Lemon Parmesan Crusted Tilapia Fillets


A common joke in Minnesota is that we have only two seasons: winter and construction. I would say the more precise categorization would be winter and exercise seasons. A recent magazine article listed Minneapolis as one of the best places to be active in the country. It seems that from the first day that the mercury rises above fifty, the masses are out jogging , walking, kayaking or swimming around Minneapolis lakes. I among them. I especially like the days when there is clear, just azure blue, and the wind is just gusty enough to create gentle undulations on the surface of the lakes but not strong enough to blow my exercise cap off! Perfect weather for hours of outdoor activity.

But all that exercise does work up an appetite. There's plenty of choices around the lakes, and around Minneapolis in general, for standard summer food. Hotdog stands, and fish fry, burger, and pizza joints. But such foods will eventually defeat the purpose of exercise if eaten on a regular basis. So I often make my own post work out meals. Since fish is an excellent source of protein but light in fat calories, I think it works well for this purpose. Filling and flavorful, my parmesan fish recipe uses freshly grated cheese, tons of fragrant lemon zest, a little bread crumbs and herbs. It's great on a salad, in a sandwich, with rice or on it's own. An almost, guilt-free dish. Enjoy!


Lemon-Parmesan Crusted Tilapia Fillets
Makes 4 servings

4 tilapia fillets
1/2 cup grated parmesan
1/4 cup bread crumbs (seasoned or unseasoned)
zest of two lemons
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
salt
pepper
juice of one lemon

1. Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray. Set oven to 425 degrees F.
2. Using paper towels, pat the fillets dry. Set aside.
3. Combine the cheese, bread crumbs, lemon zest, cilantro, salt and pepper (I used 1/2 tsp of each but add to your preference.) Coat each fillet with cheese-herb mixture, gently pressing the mixture unto each side of the fish so that it creates a thick coating.
4. Space fillets evenly on baking sheet and bake at 425 degrees F for 10 to 15 minutes until the entire fillet is opaque throughout. Squeeze fresh lemon juice over the top before serving.

9 comments:

My Man's Belly said...

This looks delicious! I love using tilapia because it's so mild and you can put just about any flavor with it.

Carneb said...

I haven't had fish in a long time. And I love tilapia, I know this is a recipe my whole family would love to have.

thanks for sharing!
~Carmen

Natasha said...

Yes guys,
Tilapia has a very subtle flavor so it takes on the flavors of whatever you season it with. Very versatile. So be creative and see what you come up with.
Thanks!
N.

Sabera said...

Tilapia is my favorite fish in the US. and I love the simple, delicious recipe you've shared. I just stumbled across your blog and am loving what I've browsed so far! Definitely a blog I'm coming back to again.

Natasha said...

Sabera,
I'm so thrilled that you found recipes to like here! And even happier that you will be back. Please feel free to let me know which ones you've tried and how they turned out for you.
Thanks again for stopping by!
N.

Magic of Spice said...

This looks divine!

Vishali said...

I have been looking for a simple bake recipe for fish . And your recipe looks really good . I am going to try it this weekend .
thanks for the share .


Do check out my blog if u have time
http://vishalicookbook.blogspot.com/


CHeers!

Katie said...

YUM! I'm always looking for new fish dishes to make... must make this one asap!

Linda said...

Great simple dish! Served with green beans and quinoa! Yum! This is already a favorite - thanks for sharing!