Wednesday, February 27, 2008
Kale with Roasted Garlic, Pecans and Raisins
2 bunches kale
2 tsp olive oil
1/4 cup whole pecans
1/4 cup whole roasted garlic (see recipe and note below)
2 tbsp raisins
2 tbsp mirin
1/4 tsp ground ginger
salt and pepper to taste
1. Wash kale throughly and chop coarsely.
2. Chop pecans coarsely.
3. Set skillet over medium heat and add olive oil.
4. Once oil is hot, add pecans, garlic, and raisins. Cook for two to three minutes until heated through.
5. Add kale, followed by mirin, ginger, salt and pepper. Cook for another three to five minutes.
6. Serve as a side dish or a main course with grilled fish or poultry.
Whole Roasted Garlic
20-30 peeled garlic cloves
1-2 tbsp olive oil
1. Set oven to 450 degrees F.
2. In bowl, toss garlic with oil.
3. On a greased or lined baking sheet, spread garlic cloves evenly.
4. Roast for 8 to 10 minutes, monitoring periodically to prevent garlic from burning.
Note: If you do not have time to prepare the roasted garlic, then substitute 2 tablespoons chopped fresh garlic. Unused roasted garlic, can be stored in airtight container and kept in refrigerator for up to one week.