Saturday, May 8, 2010

Lamb Dumplings with Tomato Sauce


The idea of making dumplings is no longer daunting for me. Thanks to ready made wonton skins. I admit: I've never made dumpling dough from scratch before but it seems like a lot of work. Although I am a proponent of certain traditional culinary methods, I'd pass on this one. Homemade bread I can bake fresh every day, and I prefer to grind and brew my own coffee (my husband even roasts our own beans now), and make my own tart and pie shells, but the idea of making dumpling from scratch... not so much. Wonton skins just make things so simple. And they are so versatile too. Having them on hand opens up many possibilities. I specially like that they make a good substitute for mini quiche and mini tart shells.

While when we think of dumplings, the ingredients that usually come to mind are asian inspired, these are filled with an all spice-seasoned lamb and carrot mixture. So for the dipping sauce I am also offering something slightly different: a chunky tomato puree. And if you find that the edges of these dumplings do not have that traditional wavy appearance, that's because it doesn't. I can never get that folding technique right.

Lamb Dumplings
Makes 2 dozens

1/2 lb lamb, minced
1/2 cup finely grated carrot
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp all spice powder
1 tsp salt
24 wonton wrappers

1. Combine the first six ingredients; mix well. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least thirty minutes.
2. To fill the dumplings: line a baking sheet with a tea cloth or paper towel. Place one tablespoon of filling mixture in the middle of one wonton wrapper. Dampen edges with water and bring the far half of the wonton skin up and over the filling towards you. Pinch edges slightly to form a seal. ( At this point, you can crimp or fold the edges to create the distinctive dumpling pleats, or not.) Place on the lined baking sheet and cover with another cloth or paper towel. Repeat with the remaining wonton skins.
3. Steam the dumplings in a bamboo or metal steamer for twenty minutes. (The water in the base of the steam should be slightly simmering, not boiling. )

Tomato Dipping Sauce

4 roma tomatoes
1 garlic clove, minces
2 tbsp chopped shallots
1/4 tsp all spice
1/4 tsp chili powder
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp cilantro
1/4 cup grated parmesan


Add olive oil to a skillet over medium high heat. Saute shallots and garlic together with all spice until softened. Add the tomatoes and cook for another 5 minutes until soften. Remove from heat and pour into a food processor together with cilantro and grated parmesan. Puree and serve warm with dumplings.


6 comments:

Lazaro Cooks said...

Wonderful dumpling dish. Great job.

Cheers!

Tristan said...

I love lamb! And here in Toronto I have never encountered a restaurant using lamb as a dumpling dish.

The tomato with garlic sauce intrigues me too.

Where my cyber-chopsticks at??

Natasha said...

Thanks Lazaro!

Tristan,
I know that there is a nepalese dumpling dish with lamb as the filling. And I also know that there are a few good Nepalese restaurants in downtown Toronto. Check them out! Or better yet, why not try to make this recipe? ;o)

And Sophie,
You're welcome. If you ever buy it, let me know what you think.

N.

Marina said...

looks great!!!

Gera@SweetsFoodsBlog said...

So tempting dumplings! I need a dozen :)

Cheers,

Gera

Natasha said...

Thanks Marie! Too bad I made these after you left but it will be on the list for next time.

Gera,
I wish I could send you some!

N.