Makes about 10
3 cups fresh strawberries
2 tbsp pomegranate juice
2 tbsp honey ( or more depending on sweetness of strawberries)
1/2 tsp balsamic vinegar
pinch of salt
1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/3 cup sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 cup cream
1/3 cup fat free ricotta cheese
1 tsp real vanilla extract
1 tbsp cream for brushing tops
extra sugar for sprinkling
2 cups fat free cool whip
6 to 8 fresh strawberries
To prepare sauce:
Wash, hull and slice strawberries. Place in bowl together with pomegranate juice, honey, balsamic vinegar and salt. Mix and set aside. (This can be done up to a day ahead.)
To Prepare Biscuit:
1. Set oven to 425 degrees F.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine all purpose flour, pastry flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon.
3. In a separate bowl, combine cream, ricotta cheese and vanilla extract.
4. Pour ricotta mixture into flour mixture and, using a spatula, combine until all of the liquid has been absorbed. Then, lightly knead until fully incorporated to form a ball.
5. On a lightly floured surface gently roll out dough to form a 1" thick circle.
7. Using a 2 1/2 " cookie cutter, cut into 10 rounds.
8. Place biscuit rounds on a well greased cookie sheet. Brush tops with cream and sprinkle with sugar. Bake for 10 minutes.
9. Immediately remove from cookie sheet and cool on a wire rack.
To prepare cream topping:
1. Wash and hull strawberries and puree in food processor or blender. Empty to bowl and fold in cool whip.
To assemble shortcake:
1. Using a fork, pierce around center of biscuit and separate into two halves.
2. Drizzle some strawberry syrup unto halves and place bottom half on a serving plate.
3. Spoon a tablespoon of strawberry sauce onto bottom biscuit half, followed by a dollop of strawberry cream and top with the top side of biscuit. Serve with fresh strawberries on the side.
Refreshing Watermelon Soup
Serves 4 to 5
5 - 6 cups cubed and seeded watermelon, chilled
4 mint leaves, plus more for garnish
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1 tbsp honey
dash aromatic bitters (optional)
watermelon balls (optional)
1. Combine all ingredients, except watermelon balls, in blender and puree until smooth.
2. Serve with watermelon balls and garnish with mint leaves.