Saturday, May 24, 2008

Indio and Guacamole

A chic new restaurant has made its mark in Uptown Minneapolis. Indio. A nuevo Mexican restaurant that is redefining what we had sadly come to know and accept as Mexican food in Minneapolis. I must admit, I never intended to eat there. We had originally set out to eat at another restaurant but, without reservations on a Friday night, had to quickly make other plans. Indio was just a couple stores down in the same plaza. Also, it was winter in Minnesota and I definitely did not want to stand around in the cold debating where we should go.

We were seated and began perusing the menu. I soon realized, my years of high school and college Spanish could not help me here. I guess this could be considered a sign of a restaurant's authenticity and originality: when the menu looks like nothing you have ever seen or eaten before. Some people might be turned off at this point. Not me. I like to be pleasantly surprised and I just live for new experiences. Why some people live all their lives without trying new things and stepping out of their comfort zones, is beyond me. I know some people who have never left the perimeter of their towns before! Something is wrong with that. The world is ours to explore and enjoy. Even more than that, I think we do ourselves a great disservice by not stepping outside of our comfort zones; it's a great way to learn and to develop. (Now, I know that some people have serious psychological problems that restrict them from venturing "out"; that is quite different from some one who is simply opposed to anything new or foreign.)

We placed our entree orders and started on the appetizer: guacamole. Sounds simple, right? It looked simple too but it the most delicious guacamole! And I'm not just saying that. Sweet, buttery, tart, and fresh. Fresh enough to make me forget that it's sub freezing outside, even if it were for just a brief moment. Our entrees came and we were just as impressed. I had the the corvina, my hunny had the ling cod and our friend chose the pork. Three unmistakably authentic Mexican dishes.

Back at home for the next couple days, we were still talking about how great Indio was. We suggested it to everyone we spoke to and they were all similarly impressed. Strangely, or maybe not too much so, I began craving guacamole! I just had to recreate it. At least, try to. I like my guacamole smooth and creamy; my hunny, on the other hand, likes it chunky. Like any good relationship, there was compromise. And it was good.



Guacamole


4 ripe Hass avocados
juice of 2 fresh limes
1 onion, finely diced
3 small garlic cloves, very finely minced
handful chopped cilantro, plus more for garnish
salt and pepper to taste

1. Dice three avocados and place in a large bowl.
2. Mash the other avocado into another bowl.
3. Pour the lime juice onto the diced avocados and toss well.
4. Add the remaining ingredients and mix well.
5. Garnish with additional cilantro and serve with baked tortilla chips.


Indio Mexican Cuisine
1221 W. Lake Street
Minneapolis, MN 55408
(612) 821-9451
www.restautantindio.com

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Natasha,

It is sad as to what passes for Mexican food in this country. Fortunately I live in San Diego but the rest of the country suffers. I give Indio a try if I get to Minneapolis as I travel often. You blog is very informative and I like your style.

Marc

Rico said...

Love guacamole, this one looks so delicious and vibrant, I want some with a cracker.... hehe