If you ever wanted an alternative way of serving rice, rice cakes are it. Either as a side dish or as part of an entree, these are a great way of adding more fiber to your diet. With two cups of broccoli and substituting brown rice for white rice, these small patties pack a heavy fiber punch.
Brown Rice and Broccoli Cakes
Makes 6 to 8
1 shallot, sliced thinly
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 cup broccoli florets
2 cups cooked brown rice
1/2 cup grated parmigiano reggiano
1/3 cup bread crumbs
3 tbs dijon mustard
3 tbs olive oil
2 tsp balsamic vinegar
1 whole carrot, grated
salt and pepper
1. In a heavy skillet over medium heat, add 1 tablespoon of olive oil, shallots, and garlic. Saute for two minutes. Add broccoli, season lightly with salt and pepper and continue to cook for 8 to 10 minutes.
2. Once broccoli has cooked, and cooled, add to food processor and mince finely.
3. In a large mixing bowl, combine minced broccoli, rice, and the remaining ingredients. Combine throughly.
4. Using a 3.5 inch circular cookie cutter, form 1 inch thick rice patties. Transfer to a well greased baking sheet
5. Place oven rack in the middle of oven and turn on broiler. Bake patties for ten minutes on each side. Remove baking sheet from oven, and allow patties to cool for 10 to 15 minutes before servings. This time is also necessary for the starches to set so that they don't fall apart.