Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Zucchini Flatbread and Tag: a game of getting to know more about our favorite bloggers.

A while back, I received the following fun exercise from Gera at Sweet Foods. The purpose: getting to know more about our favorite food bloggers. Now, it's my turn. Following Gera's example, I have attached some photos, some random ones chosen from a few of my trips.

First, though, here is my newest flatbread recipe: zucchini, almonds and mozzarella. Initially, I intended to make a simple zucchini flatbread but realized that I had a handful of slivered almonds left and not wanting them to go to waste ( nuts in general last a a good two or three months in the pantry, even longer in the freezer, before turning rancid) I added them to the mix. And not a bad idea either.


Zucchini Almond Flatbread
Serves four

1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup all purpose flour
2 tsp active dry yeast
1 tbsp sugar
1/2 cup warm water
1/4 tsp salt
2 zucchini, sliced
2 cloved garlic, minced
2 tbsp olive oil
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella
1/4 cup toasted, slivered almonds


1. To make the dough: In a mixing bowl, add the water to the yeast and sugar, set aside until foamy, about 10 to 15 minutes. Add the flours and salt and mix into a ball. Remove to a flat, floured working surface and knead until soft and elastic about four to five minutes. Set in the mixing bowl that has been oiled. Cover and let rise for about an hour.
2. In a skillet set over medium heat, add the zucchini, garlic and oil. Cook until zucchini softens about three to four minutes. (It is not necessary to thoroughly cook the zucchini here because it will finish cooking in the oven.)
3. Roll the dough unto a well greased baking sheet to about one eighth of an inch thick. Evenly layer the zucchini and mozzarella. Finally, sprinkle the almonds. Bake at 450 degrees for ten to twelve minutes. Serve while still warm.

Now, on to the questionnaire.

Diamonds or pearls?
Not crazy about either.

What is the last film you saw?
Dark Knight

Your favorite series?
I'm a LOST junkie! It's the first series I actually followed from season one and I'm still hooked. Also watch Law and Order, CSI and anything interesting on Discovery and National Geographic.

What kind of breakfast do you have usually?
It depends on whether I'm eating alone or with my husband. Alone: some sort of cereal. With my husband: pancakes and omelette, or a traditional Trinidadian breakfast.

Lighthouse, Kauai.

Second given name?
Pearl. Yes, Pearl. When I was born, being her first granddaughter, my grandmother thought I was her little gem, hence "Pearl. " I'm just grateful Diamond or Gold didn't come to her mind.

Which kind of food can't you stand?
Processed food

Favorite name (at the moment)?
Don't have one.

Which car do you drive?
Acura.

Which trait or character don't you like?
Arrogance.

Star fish at Aquarium in Minneapolis.

Favorite clothes?
Badgley Mischka, Cache, Banana Republic, BCBG, Adidas.

If you could take the aeroplane to go somewhere, where would you go?
Tough one...Hawaii or Tahiti.

Sea horse at Aquarium.

Where would you want to live when you are retired?
Hawaii. I could seriously spend my days snorkeling, hiking the Na Pali cliffs, and eating fresh seafood.

Which birthday do you remember the most?
My last: my father and youngest sister had visited; I hadn't seen them in more than three years.

Your birthday?
October 10.

Shamu! San Diego.

If you were a color, which one would you be?
Red

Chocolate or vanilla?
Chocolate.

Coffee or tea?
Coffee! I started drinking coffee in college to stay up to study. Now, it seems I cannot start my day without a cup. Nothing fancy, just regular coffee; I grind my own beans though. I do have tea on most evenings.


Feeding the animals, Wild Animal Park, San Diego.

The last person you had on the phone?
My sister Nancy in Toronto. We speak to each other almost everyday.

Sweet or savory?
Sweet! My sweet tooth is going to be the end of me.

The day of the week you prefer?
Wednesday night because LOST is on!

Now, let's find out more about:
Sarah at Broken Yolks
Zerrin at Give Recipe

5 comments:

Rico said...

I just loved the idea and look of the Zucchini on flatbread and the almonds great stuff. kisses :) xx

Tangled Noodle said...

Love this flatbread! I've been buying mine but it seems so easy to make. I need to stop being so lazy. 8-)

I didn't know there's an aquarium in Minneapolis! Is it the one at the Zoo (one of our favorite places)?

It was great learning more about you; I can totally relate to your being a red-hued, coffee-drinking, chocolate-loving sweettooth!

Marina said...

enjoyed the recipe....but i liked the questionnaire and pics too!

Natasha said...

Ricardo, yes, the vibrant green of zucchini makes almost any dish look good which is great since we eat with our eyes first, no?

T. Noodle, the aquarium in the photo is the indoor one at the MOA. I think you will like it there.

Marina, I just thought about making a questionnaire for you. on it: chem and bio questions. hee hee.

Sophie, isn't Lost some show?! I've never been so engrossed in a series before. I'll be visiting some of the actual places in Hawaii soon. So excited!

The Spanish Cowboy said...

This is good stuff
Keep it coming!!